Saturday, January 31, 2009

Benchmarking....

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
Aristotle

I haven’t written anything in this blog for a few days now. Over the last few days, I’ve had writers block (that’s the excuse anyway). I just couldn’t think of anything to say. But now, I’m back.

Every year, there are three dates on which I look back upon the year before and contemplate what I’ve achieved throughout the year. Every year, on the eve of New Year (31st December) I look back at the year that has just passed and analyze and contemplate all the things that I did during that year. I will look back at the year that has gone by, evaluate all the things that I did during the year, and decide if I achieved my goals for the year.

To be honest, many times I came up wanting, not being able to achieve the goal that I set for that year. 2008 was one of those years. I didn’t really achieve much. In fact, it turned out to be a really bad year. Not the worst, but pretty close.

The second date I use as a benchmark is my birthday. On the 30th of March every year, I will find some time to look back at the things that I’ve done between my birthdays. On this date, I usually don’t bother looking at my achievements. I look at my life from a different angle.

Since I’m not a very religious person, I don’t evaluate myself from a religious point of view (I know if I do that I will definitely fail). So I look at the things I did during the year more from a moral and ethical point of view. I try to assess the things that I did during the year looking at everything I did, trying to determine all the contributions I made, wondering if I helped to improve anyone’s life or did I make their lives worse.

The final day I use as a benchmark is 12th April every year. This is the anniversary of my divorce. On this day, I look at my life from a more personal point of view. I look at my relationships with people, and decide which direction I want those relationships to go.

These are usually the two date that I use as a benchmark, looking back at my life the year before and deciding how to move forward and face the year ahead. As of today, I will have another benchmark. 31st January of every year will be another benchmark for me. This is the day that I will use to reflect every aspect of my life. The starting point will be today.

I guess you might be wondering why today. The main reason is because today, I’ve decided to take positive action in my life. I’ve decided to take control of my life, point it in the direction I want it to go, and not let other people determine the direction of my life. Basically, the rest of my life begins today.

P/s: Sorry, no photos today. Will try to think of something for the next post

No comments:

Post a Comment