Sunday, March 1, 2009

The great blessings of mankind are within us, and within our reach; but we shut our eyes, and, like people in the dark, we fall foul upon the very thing we search for, without finding it.
- Seneca


I had a lot of fun on Saturday night. I went to Istana Budaya to watch the M. Nasir concert, Alam Muzik. I’ve seen M. Nasir perform twice before and I more or less knew what to expect. To me, M. Nasir is probably one of the best performers on the local music scene. In fact he’s better than a lot of the international acts I’ve seen.

I’ve always admired M. Nasir. I’m a fan of his music, especially the ones he sings himself. He’s always managed to mix the traditional elements of Malay music well with elements of modern music resulting in timeless pieces. He’s one of the few local singers and songwriters who has stuck to his roots and promoted the elements of traditional Malay music.

As always, his live shows have always bordered on the theatrical. He tries to ensure that the fans have a great time by instilling his own personal values and his sentiments in his performance. Last night’s performance had a more charitable note in it with the inclusion of a song which he wrote about the conflict in Gaza. Although he wrote the song back in the year 2000, it still applies to the situation in Gaza today.

One of the things I noticed about his performance is that he enjoys doing it. He enjoys performing, singing, and song writing. He is probably the most successful singer songwriter on the local music scene and you can see by the way he performs, the way he smiles whenever he talks to the audience, the way he closes his eyes when he sings and he hears the music, you can see that he loves what he does.

A lot of people I know forget the importance of loving what they are doing. They go through their daily routines, just skimming on the surface without actually enjoying or caring about what they do. They will never succeed. They might advance in their station or they might earn more every year, but they will never be truly successful.

Love what you do. Enjoy it. When you love what you do, you will find that life is much easier, and happier. Life becomes more meaningful and success will follow soon after. I’m new at my new business, but as the days go by, I find that I’m enjoying it more and more. It’s been a long time since I’ve enjoyed my job and I believe that if you enjoy your job, if you love what you’re doing, life will be more satisfying.

I love what I do. Check it out. You might love it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment