Wednesday, March 11, 2009

How to start living your life....

As I mentioned in the last post, I was going to write about this self- improvement book that I read yesterday. Once again, let me remind you of the title of the book which is “7 Keys to Success”. I read this book yesterday while I was going through this extremely lazy mood. I didn’t really do anything productive yesterday because of this mood, but as the day went on, this book has helped me to realize one thing, that THIS BUSINESS IS FOR ME.

Like I said, whenever I get into these lazy moods, it usually takes me about 3 days to snap out of it. But yesterday, as the day grew on, my mood began to change. I was starting to get excited. And while I was reading this book, I started to figure out why. I was getting excited because I was going to meet a prospect yesterday and present the business opportunity to him.

So, coming back to the book I was reading, it was actually the introduction that caught my attention.

When I was quite young, someone told me, if you want be really successful, find out what God wants to you to do with your life and then dedicate yourself to achieving it”.

That was the opening statement. At first, I didn’t realize the truth behind this statement. But as I kept on reading, it started to dawn on me, this statement is true.

Let me put it into a different perspective, mine. To me, to know what God wants you to do is quite simple. Find out what it is that you love doing the most. That’s what I did. I looked into myself (not for the first time), and tried to figure out what is it that I liked doing the most. Which part of my adult life did I have the most fun?

And I found it. After I graduated, I was elected into a Student Union post at the University I studied at, the University of Bath in the UK. Part of the responsibilities of this post was to look after the welfare of students. We had a Welfare Officer (another elected post) but my job as Treasurer was to assist her in her welfare programs. I was also supposed to assist other departments in their programs for the benefit of students. And I had lots of fun. I loved doing it.

So after a while, I realized that what I enjoyed about the job wasn’t so much the job itself, but helping people. I derived a different kind of satisfaction whenever a student or a fellow student union officer would come to me with their problems and I managed to help them out. It was fun. The best part, you can see their appreciation on their faces.

But when I came back to Malaysia, like everyone else, I joined the rat race. And bit by bit, i started to forget that I enjoyed doing it. That’s what the rat race does to you. It eats your very essence. Sooner or later you lose sight of your life. Some people were made for that, but not me.

Anyway, the whole point of this post is actually to say this, if you want to be successful, find something you enjoy doing. If you haven’t found it, then look for it that is if you want to be successful both in your career and life.

“It is time for you to fulfil your dream - whatever that may be. That is why you are here on the planet right now. By finding and fulfilling your own unique purpose in life you will be living your life to the full.”

So, my message is, “LIVE LIFE TO THE FULL.”

P/s: If you want a copy of this book, then just send me an email

No comments:

Post a Comment