Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Dream of Success

"IF YOU CAN DREAM IT, THEN YOU CAN ACHIEVE IT. YOU CAN HAVE ANYTHING IN LIFE YOU WANT IF YOU HELP ENOUGH PEOPLE GET WHAT THEY WANT"
- Zig Ziglar

That is one of my favourite quotes. You can find it on my Facebook profile.

I’ve come across a lot of people who doubt that quote by Zig Ziglar. In my case, I was told from the very beginning of my childhood that my dreams cannot be achieved.

I wasn’t really an outstanding student. More like just above average. I spent too much time playing sports and didn’t focus on my studies. I guess when it came to studying and my academic life, I wasn’t competitive enough.

So, my parents and some of my teachers, whenever they looked at my exam results, would tell me that if I had grand ideas for my future, to forget it. They always kept telling me that if I didn’t focus more on my studies, I’d end up working for someone. Slaving it out for 5 days a week and I wouldn’t go very far in my career.

I always hated that. I always hated it when someone told me that I couldn’t achieve my dreams. My dreams weren’t that difficult. I just wanted to have the freedom to do whatever I wanted whenever I wanted. I wanted to have a beach house where I could go on weekends and spend quality time with my family or alone with a good book. On weekdays, I wanted the freedom to be able to sit around the house, watch television or play computer games, go out and have lunch at nice restaurants, hang out with friends in the evening.

That’s all that I wanted. It sounds like a lot to ask for but when you analyze it closely, all that I wanted was time freedom

So everyone was telling me that it was impossible to achieve. And I moderated my dreams. I decided that I had to have a dream which was a bit more realistic to achieve. My dream became the average dream, a wife, 3 kids, a house in the suburbs, and a reasonably priced sedan to move around in. That became my dream.

That was until I started to read biographies. The good thing about reading biographies is that most of them are success stories of the ordinary man battling against the odds and coming out on top. I read a lot of biographies over the last few year and the main thing I concluded, was that dreams can come true.

I’ve spoken before about the likes of Rudy Ruettiger and Charles Lindbergh. These aren’t the only 2. Time and time again you will find that people who have great dreams find that they can achieve their dreams. So if they can, why not me? And why not you?

Another quote from Zig Ziglar:

“You were born to win, but to be a winner, you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.”

DREAM. HAVE BIG DREAMS AND COMMIT YOURSELF TO ACHIEVING THOSE DREAMS AND YOU WILL FIND THAT DREAMS DO COME TRUE



No comments:

Post a Comment